A Renew Newcastle initiative, Loop Space was an artist run space that exhibited 59 artists from February 2009 to June 2010. The building taken over by Renew Newcastle was the old Fletcher Jones building situated at 109 Hunter Street East Newcastle. It was upgraded, managed and curated by Damian Castaldi and Solange Kershaw. The parent organisation to Renew Newcastle is now Renew Australia.
Loop Space had 8 exhibitions all up including:
1) Intimate (first group show). Exhibiting 9 artists including Jane Shadbolt, John Tonkin, Solange Kershaw, Nigel Helyer, Roger Mills, Neil Jenkins, Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda and Damian Castaldi. Curated by Damian Castaldi & Solange Kershaw.
2) Salute to Steel City/Bogie Hole/Coal Country. Exhibiting 3 artists including Helen Macallan, Bernadette Smith and Damian Castaldi. Curated by Damian Castaldi.
3) Audio On Loop. Exhibiting 18 artists including Robert Curgenven (NT), Joyce Hinterding (NSW), Cam Merton (WA), Rick Mason (WA), Sam Landels (WA), M@ McFarlane (Newcastle), Ros Bandt (Victoria), Lawrence English (Queensland), Michael Yuen (SA), Daniel Lavan (Victoria), Organism_b (NSW), Julian Day (NSW), Brigid Burke (Victoria), Daniel Blinkhorn (NSW), Mark Pederson (Victoria), Kraig Grady (NSW), Dan Conway (NSW), Roger Mills (NSW). Curated by Damian Castaldi.
4) The Garden of Forking Paths. Exhibiting 10 artists including Laurie Anderson (USA) with Hsin-Chien Huang (Taiwan), Andy Deck (USA), Anita Fontaine (Australia) and Mike Pelletier (Canada), Jaron Lanier (USA), Michael Nyman (UK), Nina Pope and Karen Guthrie (UK), Tale of Tales (Belgium). Curated by Neil Jenkins.
5) Play 109. Exhibiting 4 artists Solange Kershaw, Damian Castaldi, Neil Jenkins and Jake Lewis. Curated by Damian Castaldi & Solange Kershaw.
6) Spystation. Artist residency with Nicola Morton .
7) Video/audio/Painting/Photomedia exhibition of local and interstate artists. Exhibiting 9 artists including Peter Newman, Ian Andrews and Wade Marynowsky (DEMUX), Annemarie Murland, Peter Lankas, Bernadette Smith, Ros Bandt, Anette Willis and Damian Castaldi. Curated by Damian Castaldi.
8) Body Capital. Exhibiting 8 artists including Liam Benson, John Conomos, Sari Kivinen, Naomi Oliver, Eugenia Raskopoulos, George Tillianakis, Jon Wah and Anastasia Zaravinos. Curated by Ann Finegan.